This subcategory is reserved for persons who are internationally recognized as outstanding in a specific academic area. The individual must have at least 3 years teaching or research experience in his/her academic field. He/she must be coming to the United States to accept a tenured, or tenure-track, teaching position, or other indefinite or unlimited duration position at a college or university, or a research position at a company with a distinguished research lab in the field of expertise.
In addition, the individual must provide evidence meeting at 2t two of the following 6 criteria:
- Receipt of major prizes or awards for outstanding achievement
- Membership in associations in the field that requires outstanding achievement of its members
- Published material in professional publications written by others about the individual’s work in the field
- Participation as a judge of others in the field
- Evidence of original scientific research of a major contribution to the field
- Authorship of scholarly books or articles in the field
A person seeking to immigrate as an Outstanding Professor or Researcher must have a university, college or company sponsor. Self-sponsorship is not allowed. This subcategory does not require a PERM Labor Certification.